Best above ground pools Reviews for 2018
When the sweltering summer heat sets in, there’s only one way to beat it – with a pool! As temperatures rise, instead of sulking inside in the air conditioning, why not enjoy your back yard? You might think it’s too expensive or too time consuming to add a pool into your yard, but with an above ground pool you can be splashing around in no time!
If you’ve never bought an above ground pool before, it is very easy to become overwhelmed with all of the different options and choices. There are many things to take into consideration and it can take hours to sort through different brands and models. That’s why we created this above ground pool buying guide to help you out.
Why Buy an Above Ground Pool?
You might wonder why you should buy an above ground pool instead of a in ground pool. In ground pools might be more aesthetically pleasing than the alternative, but above ground pools actually have many advantages. Keep reading to see exactly why above ground pools should be taken into consideration.
One of the biggest advantages that above ground pools has over an inground pool is that they are less expensive. In ground pools are much more expensive because you need to hire a contractor, have the ground dug out and the pool filled and finished. With above ground pools, you can spend hundreds instead of tens of thousands to add them to your backyard. In ground pools might not be in your budget, but an above ground pool certainly might be!
Another benefit that above ground pools offer is that they are much easier to install. When you look into in ground pools, you must hire a professional contractor or pool installation company to do the work for you. That not only drives up cost, but it can also lead to lengthy delays. Instead of waiting weeks or even months, an easy set above ground pool allows you to have a pool delivered and installed within days.
Finally, above ground pools are much more portable than in ground pools. They are able to be installed and broken down every year, which means you don’t need to worry about lengthy and costly weatherization procedures year after year. If you want to rearrange your backyard to accommodate an extended porch or new play set for the kids, you can easily do that with an above ground pool. They can be disassembled and reassembled in just a few hours and that is simply not the case with inground pools.
So here are the best above ground pools for 2018!
Purchasing a pool can be a great way to cool off during the summer months. If you’re hindered by a tight budget and an in-ground pool is out of the question, the Intex 12ft X 30in Metal Frame Pool Set with Filter Pump is a great, affordable option.
The circular above ground pool is 12 feet in diameter and has a 30-inch depth. With a 1,718 gallon water capacity, the sleek pool is a great addition in any back yard and can hold even large families.
While the pool is unable to be positioned on mud, sand or any other loose soil, if a hard, flat surface is available, set up can be completed in less than thirty minutes. You simply spread the liner, assemble the metal frame and fill it up your garden hose. With tough triple laminated PVC sidewalls that are puncture resistant and a rust resistant steel frame, this family sized pool is built to last multiple seasons.
The Intex 12ft X 30in Metal Frame Pool Set with Filter Pump also comes with a filter pump capable of pumping 530 gallons of water per hour. Dual suction outlet fittings also improve the circulation to create better clarity and hygiene. The pool is easy to clean, easy to install and easy to enjoy!
- The Intex 12ft X 30in Metal Frame Pool Set with Filter Pump is built with 3-ply laminated PVC and galvanized steel for strength and durability.
- The circular above ground pool can hold the entire family with a 30-inch depth and 1,781 gallon water capacity.
- Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter pump, set-up DVD and a 1-year limited warranty are included in the pool set
- Drain plugs are compatible with standard garden hoses to enable water to drain away from house or pool
- Dual suction outlet fittings included to improve water circulation for better clarity and water hygiene. This keeps water swimmable all the time
- Includes ground fault circuit breaker to shut off pump if exposed to water
The “Rectangular Ultra Frame Pool Set with Sand Filter Pump” is an excellent choice if you are looking for a durable, easy set-up/take-down above ground pool.
The pool’s frame is made of steel, laminated PVC sidewalls, and an anti-rust coating. So long as you ensure that the ground you set the pool up on is solid and level, the assemblage can take as little as an hour. In addition to its sturdy frame and features, the pools simple, classic design is a benefit to any backyard. When compared with other above ground pools, this pool has stood out as longer lasting, more attractively featured, larger, and more easily cleaned than other pools.
To begin, it is best to watch the instructional DVDs before attempting to set-up the pool. The ground cloth, debris cover, and removable ladder are not unwieldy and can be moved and fastened quickly and easily; no struggling to get things into place when the weather changes. This pool is an ideal size for a small family with plenty of room to swim and play.
The package includes:
- Debris cover
- Ground cloth
- Removable ladder
- Instructional DVDs, and Sand filter pump (110-120v)
- Sand filter pump (110-120v)
- Sturdy, easily constructed frame made of thick, solid, PVC sidewalls and steel framing
- A 1,200gph Krystal Clear sand filter pump that takes only 60 minutes to have the pool ready
- A drainage system that is compatible with an everyday water hose making it effortless to drain and clean
- A water capacity of 4,545 gallons which fills 90% of the pool, and;
- Dual suction outlet fittings which improve the clarity and cleanliness of the pool water.
Sometimes during the summer months, you just can’t beat the heat. A pool might can be a great way to do that, but you also don’t want to break your budget. Thankfully, the Intex Oval Frame Pool Set is available as affordable and quality pool.
The stylish above ground pool is 18 feet long by 10 feet wide and features a depth of 42 inches. It’s great for small family parties or to help the neighborhood kids cool off on a hot summer’s day.
While it may be easy on the wallet, the pool doesn’t lack when it comes to quality. The Intex Oval Frame Pool Set consists of a sturdy steel frame with triple strength PVC to ensure it lasts season after season. With a sleek oval design, it’s great for yards of any size. Even narrow yards can accommodate this classy looking above ground pool.
Assembly is a breeze and by following along with the provided instructional DVD, it can be ready for water in just 30 minutes. The kit also comes with a ladder, ground cloth, pool cover and filter pump. When it’s time to break the pool down after swimming season is over, the drain plugs can easily be hooked up to a standard garden hose to drain water away from the house or yard.
The Intex Oval Frame Pool Set really is a one stop shop for a great way to beat the summer heat.
- Great for family get togethers, friendly gatherings, or neighborhood block parties, the Intex Oval Frame Pool Set is 18 feet long, 10 feet wide and 42 inches deep.
- With rust resistant steel frames and sidewalls made of triple-layered laminated PVC, the pool will last many parties and many seasons
- The Intex Oval Frame Pool Set is an all in one kit. With a filter pump, ladder, pool cover and ground cloth included, you’ll have all you need
- Set up is easy and after watching the instructional DVD, the entire pool can be ready for water after just 30 minutes. It holds 2,885 gallons and can be filled fright from a garden hose
- The included 1,000 Krystal Clare Cartridge filter pump combined with the supplied pool cover maintains clear water for swimmers year-round
The Steel Pro 15’ x 48” Frame Pool Set is a sturdily constructed, round pool, that holds up to 4,231 gallons of water. The frame is made from steel, rust resistant, frames that clip together with ease. The set up of this convenient pool is easily completed in under an hour, and only requires two people to set it up. The pool’s material construction is polyester, 3-ply, PVC panels, held in place by the steel frames; a 3-ply band, which straps around the exterior of the pool, gives additional support to the walls.
- Rust-resistant framing
- Sturdy 3-ply PVC walls
- Exterior 3-ply strap to lend support
- Easy set-up and take-down construction
- A water capacity of up to 90% = 4,231 gallons
- Control drain valve that attaches to a garden
A pool can be a great way to make a splash this summer and beat the heat. If you are looking for an affordable and quality option, then the Intex 18ft X 48in Easy Set Pool Set with Filter Pump, Ladder, Ground Cloth & Pool Cover is a great option to consider.
18 feet in diameter and 48 inches deep, this pool set is a great way to keep your family, or the entire neighborhood cool this summer. At 80% full, the Intex above ground pool has a 5,455 gallon water capacity.
Set up is easy and by following the included instructional DVD, the pool can be water ready in just 30 minutes. Simply lay out the liner, inflate the top ring and fill the pool up with a standard garden hose.
The included Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter pump can process 1,500 gallons per hour to keep the water clean and clear. With a ground cloth cover and debris cover as added protection, you can keep strong water hygiene around the clock.
If you’re worried about durability, there’s nothing to fear. The Intex 18ft X 48in Easy Set Pool Set with Filter Pump, Ladder, Ground Cloth & Pool Cover comes with triple strength laminated PVC sidewalls and dual suction outlet fittings.
Built to last, easy to assemble, and large enough to fit the neighborhood, the Intex 18ft X 48in Easy Set Pool Set with Filter Pump, Ladder, Ground Cloth & Pool Cover can be a great addition to your backyard this season!
- The Intex 18ft X 48in Easy Set Pool Set with Filter Pump, Ladder, Ground Cloth & Pool Cover has a 5,455 gallon water capacity and is big enough for large family gatherings or even the whole neighborhood.
- The pool set comes with everything you need, including a Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump, ladder, ground cloth and debris cover.
- The super tough triple ply laminated PVC sidewalls are puncture resistant and built to last for multiple seasons.
- By following along with the provided instructional DVD, set up can be completed in thirty minutes.
- Equipped with a ground fault interrupter that shuts off pump if water gets to the electrical current. This is an added safety measure.
- Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter pump can filter 1,500 gallons per hour to keep water clean and hygienic.
The Intex 15ft X 48in Easy Set Pool Set with Filter Pump, Ladder, Ground Cloth & Pool Cover is an affordable and quality option for an inground pool. It’s large size and depth make it a good option for families big and small and the dual suction outlet fittings provide better water hygiene and clarity than most other brands.
The tough, 3 ply laminated PVC sidewalls from Intex are stronger than other models. This makes the pool more durable and likely to last for multiple seasons. Instead of buying a new pool year after year, the quality materials used in Intex pools make them built to last.
This Intex above ground model is also equipped with a Ground Fault Interrupter. The special feature keeps swimmers safe and isn’t something you’ll find on just any pool model.
What makes this pool such a great option is that it is ready for water in just 15 minutes. Set up is a breeze and following the included instructional DVD, you’ll have it ready for swimming in no time.
What Customers are Saying
Reviews for this pool are mostly favorable. Customers love how easy it is to set up and breakdown the pool year after year and the inflatable model lasted over 5 years.One thing that users complain about is the fact that the pool must be set on completely level ground or there are issues keeping water in. This is addressed in the instructional DVD, so following along will help avoid problems.
- Dimensions: 15 feet x 48 inches with a 3,736-gallon water capacity
- Triple laminated PVC sidewalls are durable and built to last
- Manufacturer provides 90 limited warranty
- Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter pump moves 1,000 gallons per hour
- Comes with pump, ladder, ground cloth, debris cover and instructional DVD
The Intex Rectangular Ultra Frame Pool Set, 24-Feet by 12-Feet by 52-Inch is a large above ground pool that can fit your family or the entire neighborhood. With 8,500-gallon water capacity and 52 inches deep, it’s great for children and adults alike.
The new Hydro Aeration Technology utilized in this pool is what sets it above the competition. Used only by Intex, the advanced technology puts Intex pools in the upper echelon of the Above Ground Pool Industry. It results in a sparkling pool that is clear and hygienic for all swimmers.
Another reason to love the Intex Rectangular Ultra Frame Pool Set is innovative design. The easy lock system makes the pool easy to set up and the powder brushed steel frame is durable, sleek and sturdy. Add super resistant triple ply PVC material to the design and you have a pool that lasts for years.
This pool set also comes with everything you need. You’ll get a filter pump, ladder, ground cloth, cover and everything needed to set up. Within an hour you can have the pool ready to
What Customers are Saying
Overall, the Intex Rectangular Ultra Frame Pool Set, 24-Feet by 12-Feet by 52-Inch received strong reviews. Positive reviewers loved how easy the pool was to set up and its durability. Negatives listed included the necessity of the pool needing to be on completely level ground and the sturdiness of the ladder, but those issues are easily overcome.
- Dimensions: 24 feet x 12 feet x 52 inches with 8,500-gallon water capacity
- Constructed from sturdy, rust resistant powder coated steel frame and durable PVD sidewalls that will last for years.
- Comes with everything you need, including: ladder, pool liner, cover, ground cloth ladder and filter
- The Krystal Clear Sand Filter pump keeps water clear and hygienic, processing 1,600 gallons per minute
When it comes to above ground pools, the Intex 18ft X 52in Ultra Frame Pool Set with Sand Filter Pump, Ladder, Ground Cloth & Pool Cover is a step above the rest. As one of the leading above ground pools in the marketplace, this is a great option to beat the heat this summer.
This above ground pool has a sleek design that will make your neighbors jealous. Some above ground pools leave a lot to be desired, but the unique look of this pool creates a fun atmosphere in your back yard.
The round shape provides enough room to accommodate up to 8 adults without taking up too much room in your backyard. Another great thing about this Intex pool is that it is easy to set up. The steel frame connects without tools, meaning you can be ready to add water in just an hour.
If you’re worried about keeping up hygiene and water quality, Intex offers advanced options that the competition cannot match. Their Hydro Aeration Technology induces oxidation of iron and manganese that keeps your pool sparkling and hygienic around the clock.
What Customers are Saying
The Intex 18ft X 52in Ultra Frame Pool Set with Sand Filter Pump, Ladder, Ground Cloth & Pool Cover has gotten great reviews overall. Customers love how easy the pool is to set up and that it offers affordable quality. Some reviewers reported that the package came without all of the listed parts, but by contacting Intex within the 90 day warranty period, these issues can easily be resolved.
- The durable triple ply sidewalls and powder coated steel frames makes the pool last season after season
- Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump has 2,100 gallon per hour flow rate to provide enhanced water hygiene for swimmers
- Pool set includes everything you need, including: top cover, ground cloth, pool liner, pool frame, sand filter pump, ladder, and instructional DVD
- Drain plugs easily connect to garden hose to make emptying a breeze
- Dimensions: 18 feet x 52 inches with 6,981 gallon water capacity
Aexercise poolcan be a great purchase but often comes with a hefty price tag. The iPool D Set (iPool I with Deluxe Filter Pump and Heater Combination) is a great affordable alternative.
This above ground exercise pool is 7 feet by 10 feet and its compact footprint makes it a perfect fit for your garage or basement. With the ability to fit indoors, you can work out no matter the time of year. It also comes with a 5.5 kw heater so your water will always be a comfortable temperature
Another great thing about the iPool D Set is that it is easy to assemble. It comes with everything you need and the instructional DVD provides a detailed guide.
Customers love the patented dual tether system that makes workouts a breeze. The harness is adjustable and unlike other brands, can increase and decrease resistance to desired amount. It can also handle swimmers of any size.
What Customers are Saying
The iPool D Set (iPool I with Deluxe Filter Pump and Heater Combination) is a set that received glowing reviews from customers. Reviewers love that this exercise pool comes with a heater that keeps water a comfortable temperature. They also enjoy how easy the swim harness is to use during a workout. In regards of the negatives, some customers mentioned that the liner split, but the company was quick to replace it.
- Dimensions: 7 feet x 10 feet x 45 inches with a 1,500 gallon water capacity
- It’s built to last with a strong zinc coated galvanized steel frame and durable five ply polyester weaver liner
- Everything you need in included: ladder, filter pump, floor sheet, heater, repair kit, vinyl cover and instructional set up DVD
- Velcro harness supplied and capable of handling swimmers of any size
The Bestway Steel Pro 12′ x 30″ Frame Pool Set is a above ground pool that is the perfect size for a smaller backyard. With a 12 foot diameter and 30 inch depth, it’s great for both adults and children.
With a triple ply wall, the Bestway Steel Pro 12′ x 30″ Frame Pool Set is built to stand the test of time. Other brands will rust after a season, but this pool set is constructed from rust resistant steel frames.
Another feature that sets this model ahead of the competition is its ease of assembly. The ‘T’ Connectors and ‘T’ Clips are easily fitted together and since they are hidden by PVC flaps, they don’t detract from the overall look of the pool.
A flow control drain valve that connects to your garden hose also makes emptying the pool at the end of the season a breeze. Not all brands include a hose-adaptable drain that enables water to be directed away from the house, but this model does.
If you’re worried about water hygiene, this model also comes with a quality 330 gallon filter pump, which keeps water clean and clear and is something that isn’t always included with other brands.
What Customers are Saying
The Steel Pro 12′ x 30″ Frame Pool Set has received strong reviews. Customers love how easy to assemble to pool is and that it doesn’t require tools to construct. Some reviewers did note that replacement parts can be difficult to find and that the bottom occasionally gets creases when not installed on level ground.
- Dimensions: 12 feet x 30 inches with 1,710 gallon water capacity
- Constructed from durable triple ply PVC polyester and rust resistant metal frame
- Includes heavy duty patch repair kit, instructional DVD, 330 gallon filter pump and cartridge
- ‘T’ Connectors and ‘T’ Clips make the pool easy to set up within an hour with only a screwdriver necessary for assembly
- Comes with a 330 gallon filter pump that keeps water clean and clear for swimmers
What do we need to consider before buying an above ground pool to buy the best one?
Now that you know all the benefits that an above ground pool can offer you, it’s time to decide which pool is right for you. In order to select the right option, there are several factors that you need to take into account. The following factors need to be taken into consideration to select the best above ground pool for you:
While above ground pools are much less expensive than inground pools, they can still range in prices depending on the features and sizes offered. That is why setting a budget is something you should do before starting the search. Set a budget and stick with it through the process!
Above ground pools range in durability and you want to make sure that you select a pool that will last for multiple seasons. Most models come with durable triple ply PVC side walls, which will last for multiple seasons. Additionally, make sure if there are metal components, that they are listed as rust resistant. You want a pool that lasts for many years, so be sure to choose a durable option.
The size and shape of a pool is another defining factor that you need to consider when selecting an above ground pool. You need to make sure that a pool will fit in your backyard. A narrow backyard might be a better fit for a rectangular pool, while larger backyards would be great for large round pools. Make sure you measure your backyard and choose a pool that fits accordingly. Also, keep in mind any added space necessary for pumps, filters, decks and supporting frames.
When you are buying an above ground pool, you also want to consider what comes with the set. Some just come with the frame, while others come with the necessary filters and pumps. Full sets generally include debris covers, ground cloths, ladders and instructional DVDs. It is important to take those included accessories into consideration when you are comparing prices of different models. One might seem like a better deal, but if you need to purchase a lot of additional components, you’ll end up playing more.
Installation & Breakdown
One thing to keep in mind when looking for an above ground pool is how easy it is to install. Quick installation is one of the benefits of buying an above ground pool to begin with, so it’s important to look for a pool that you can quickly put up. Most can be installed in less than an hour, so be sure to keep that in mind. Drain plugs that are garden hose adaptable are also a great feature for easy breakdown.
Safety is always something to keep in mind when you have a pool in your backyard. Some above ground pools have better safety features than others and is something to look for when buying a pool. Be sure to choose a model that has a ground fault circuit breaker to cut off the electricity if it is exposed to water.
Maintenance & Filters
Above ground pools come with varying degrees of cleaning features. You want to choose a pool that has a debris cover and that includes a filter pump. That will make your maintenance a lot easier during swim season.
Above ground pools are cheaper than inground pools, but they are a bit less durable. Most manufacturers offer a standard 90 day warranty, but it’s always better if you can find one that offers an extended one year warranty.