Hitting the pool with your friends and family is the best – and most fun! – way to beat the summer heat. If you really want to enjoy your pool though, it’s essential to keep the water in your pool clean and hygienic. Without a pool pump to power your cleaning system, you could end up with dirty, unsanitary water. That is why you need to buy the top pool pump that your budget allows.
Trying to sort through the endless options either in store or on the internet can be frustrating and overwhelming. That’s why we break down the best 10 pool pumps for you. Whether you’re looking for single, dual, or variable speed pumps, we have something for everyone.
Best Single Speed Pool Pumps
The Hayward SP2607X10 Super Pump 1 HP Pool Pump is a large capacity pump the offers durable construction and powerful performance. It will last for years to come and installs easily on existing in-ground pool systems. Designed for pools of all sizes, the Super Pump is efficient and quiet.
- 110-cubic-inch basket with extra leaf holding capacity – less maintenance is required
- Motor with airflow ventilation – quieter, cooler operation
- See through strainer cover – eliminates guessing when and where cleaning is required
- Heat-resistant seal – long lasting and drip proof
This single speed pump is energy-efficient with a protected rear mount switch for easy operation. The industrial size strainer means less maintenance, while the high-performance motor with integrated thermal overload protector lasts for years.
- Automated thermal overload protector – automatically shuts off pump before clogging causes expensive damage
- Rear mounted switch – provides easy operation and protection from elements
- Versatile – compatible with most types and sizes of above ground pools
- Large strainer basket – decreases the amount of maintenance required
Best Dual Speed Pool Pumps
This dual speed pool pump is designed for both above and in-ground pools. It’s energy efficient with a heavy-duty motor able to last years. With an industrial size strainer basket to minimize required maintenance, this might be the right fit for you pool.
- Versatile – able to fit above and in-ground pools of all sizes
- Large strainer basket – decreases need for constant strainer cleaning
- Clear pump cover – lets you know when drain needs to be cleaned
Best Variable Speed Pool Pumps
This variable speed pool pump offers energy savings and is dramatically quieter than other pumps. It offers various programmable speeds and a built-in timer for maximum efficiency. With built-in diagnostics, this pump is guaranteed to last longer.
- Energy efficient – offers saving up to 90 percent over other types of pool pumps
- 8 programmable speeds – allows you to choose the perfect speed for the desired task
- Quiet operation – you won’t even know the pool is running
- Compatible with EasyTouch, IntelliTouch and SunTouch Pool Control Systems – lets you manage pump, heating, lighting and other water features with one control panel
While more expensive than other types of pool pumps, this variable speed pool pump will save you money over the long run. The controls are easy to use and the control interface is user friendly. With three operating speeds, it offers a good value for the money.
- Three operating speeds – gives you options without overwhelming the user
- Variable speed technology – costs less to operate and runs efficiently
- Easy installation – with 115 or 230 volt power supply adaptability, there’s no rewiring needed
- Advanced onboard digital display – makes it easy to operated and offers override speed setting to match your specific needs
This Energy Star Certified variable speed pump is one of the best rated for energy efficiency on the market. The permanent magnet, enclosed fan cool motor offers steady performance and durability. It’s versatile enough to work with a variety of equipment while keeping your pool crystal clear.
- Integrated Safety Vacuum Release System (SVRS)- provides added protection from clogging and costly repairs/replacements.
- Digital control interface – easy to use, wall-mounted, moveable for ease of operation
- Large capacity strainer – extends amount of time in between cleaning sessions
- ENERGY STAR Rated – most energy efficient pool pump that provides strong energy savings
The Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump is able to replace most pumps up to 1.5 or 2.0 HP and can be installed in any type of pool. This model is fully programmable with a digital control that rotates to promote easy access and operation.
- Permanent magnet, totally enclosed fan cooled (TEFC) motor – provides energy savings up to 90 percent over single speed pool pumps
- On-board diagnostics – offers automatic protection for temperature extremes, priming failures and voltage fluctuations
- 2” X 2.5” CPVC union connections – makes it a quick and easy replacement for most 1.5 HP full-rate or 2.0 HP up-rate pool pumps
- Able to accept 115 or 230 volt power supply – easy installation with no rewiring necessary
The pump is a high-performing variable speed pool pump that features an impressive 3 HP. It is energy efficient and operates quieter than most other pumps. 8 programmable speeds allow you to select the perfect one to get the job done.
- Energy efficient – provides you significant energy savings, up to 90% a year
- Operates at 45 decibels – much quieter than alternative pumps for more power
- Eight programmable speeds – with built-in timer, this pump runs efficiently and effectively to keep pool clean yearround
Best Pool Filter Pump
This sand filter pump is designed to keep above ground pools clean with soft water. The all-natural sand filters water effectively and a built in timer makes it easy to operate. Ideal for pools 16’ and above, this filter is maintenance free.
- Built-in 24 hour timer – creates hassle-free, easy operation while maintaining a clear, clean pool
- Large debris baskets – means less cleaning and maintenance to keep filter running properly
- Equipped with a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) – keeps pool safe for swimmers when filter pump is operating
- Pumps 2,800 gallons per hours – makes it a great option for pools of various sizes
Best Pool Cover Pump
The WAYNE WAPC250 1/4 HP Automatic ON/OFF Water Removal Pool Cover Pump is designed with iSwitch technology that makes operating a breeze. This pool cover pump is energy efficient, oil-free and built to last. With a strainer base to filter debris and worry-free water removal, this pump is designed to make removing the water from your pool cover essentially effortless.
- iSwitch technology- senses the presence of water and turns the pump on of off to make operation automatic
- Automatic freeze protection – protects the pump from clogging-related damage and keep it from tipping over
- Plug and play capability – simply plug in the pool cover pump and leave it unattended
- 25’ foot rope – allows you to position the pool cover pump on pool covers of various sizes