Best Robotic Pool Cleaner Reviews: Top 10 for 2019
Technology can make everything in your life a bit easier, and now that includes cleaning your pool for you. High powered, automatic robotic pool cleaners can make keeping your pool crystal clean into a simple reality.
We know it can seem like a daunting task trying to find the best robotic pool cleaner to buy. There are a lot of criteria to take into consideration and you might not be aware of all the terminology, but we promise a little work up front will save you hours of hassle and frustration. How enjoyable would it be to relax in your pool without hours of cleaning and prep work before? That’s why we’ve compiled all you need to know about robotic all you need to know about robotic pool cleaners to make the buying process simple!
10 Top Robots Pool Cleaners for 2018
1. Dolphin 99996403-PC Dolphin Nautilus plus Robotic Pool Cleaner
If you are looking for an advanced robotic pool cleaner, the Dolphin 99996403-PC Dolphin Nautilus plus Robotic Pool Cleaner is definitely one to consider. This is one of the newer, more advanced models from Dolphin and you won’t be disappointed with the litany of special features.
The robotic pool cleaner will scrub, vacuum and filter your entire pool in just 2.5 hours. It is easy to operate and can clean pools up to 50 feet in length. This robotic cleaner features CleverClean Technology. This is exclusive to Dolphin and ensures that your entire pool from the floor and walls and up to the waterline, are left sparkling clean. It also comes with a weekly timer, so you simply set the cleaner and let it get to work.
This model offers Full Pool Scanning, a software that allows the robotic cleaner to learn and memorize the surface of your pool. This might not seem like a great factor, but it actually makes cleaning more effective and efficient, which saves on cleaning time and energy costs.
In addition, you will also get a start of the art filtration system with a polyester fiber filter that will catch even the finest of debris. The great thing about this robotic pool cleaner is that is easy to maintain, with an easily accessible cartridge filter system. The filter is enlarged as well, which means less frequent cleanings for you.
If you are worried about tangled cords, don’t be! This model features a patented swivel cable that will keep the cords from getting tangled.Top Features
- CleverClean Technology to ensure all surfaces are clean
- Full Pool Scanning allows robotic pool cleaner to memorize the surface of your pool for more efficient cleaning
- Polyester fiber filter catches very fine debris
- The robotic pool cleaner can clean your pool in under 2.5 hours
- Full Pool Scanning leads to energy efficient cleaning
- Enlarged filter basket means less maintenance
- Has difficulty cleaning stairs and ledges thoroughly
2. Hayward RC9990GR TigerShark QC Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
The Hayward RC9990GR TigerShark QC is one of the more popular pool cleaners offered in the market nowadays.
It sports a powerful 24-volt motor which gives it the power and range that it needs in order to clean efficiently, while at the same time keeping energy consumption, as well as operating costs, low.
This unit was designed to clean pools as big as 20’x40’, a surface which the TigerShark is able to cover in one 90 minute cleaning cycle.
Besides the fast cleaning cycle, another thing that this unit boasts is a very easy to maintain cleaning system.
First off, it relies on a very powerful vacuum pump system which can suck up any kind of debris and dirt, right off of the floor of a filled pool.
Second, it relies on a cartridge storage system, which is very easy to maintain. Just pop the cartridge out when it fills up, empty it, rinse it with a garden hose and it’s as good as new.
There are no bags that you will need to deal with, no programming and no need to keep a constant eye on it. It is as simple to use as taking it out of the box, plugging it in, and lowering it to the bottom of the pool.
This ease of use is due to the computer that it comes equipped with. Once the unit is placed in a pool, it will calculate the size of the area and program itself with a cleaning cycle that will save as much energy and time as possible, while covering every single square inch of the pool bottom.
One last thing to mention about this unit here is the actual cleaning performance that it is capable of achieving.
The TigerShark’s cleaning toolkit consists of rotating brushes that sweep the dirt in and a vacuum pump which sucks it into the internal cartridge.
Because it uses the brushes more or less as its means of propulsion on the pool floor, coupled with the fact that the brushes themselves are made for advanced cleaning, the unit will successfully clean an area when passing over it. Add the units vacuum capabilities to it and you can be sure that there will be no missed spots or dirt trails, the unit will be able to cover the entire area without any problems.
The Hayward RC9990GR TigerShark QC is a nice and nifty little pool cleaning unit to have. It is powerful, efficient and quite thorough when it comes to pool cleaning.
It’s designed for residential pools, so if you own a 20’x40’ pool, and are in the market for a good and reliable cleaning robot, the TigerShark might just be the thing that you’re lookingTop Features
- Covers both pool floor and walls, all the way up to the tile line
- Equipped with a shut-off function which powers the unit down when the cleaning cycle is complete
- An onboard computer which calculates the pool area and optimizes the cleaning cycle in order to save as much energy as possible while covering the entire area of the pool, and its walls, creating a digital pattern that it will follow in the future.
- Powerful scrubs and brushes which are used in conjunction with the vacuum pump to scrub and detach the dirt from the floor and walls
- A 24-volt energy efficient motor which is designed and engineered to use as little power as possible without having to sacrifice cleaning capabilities
- Reinforced cartridge cleaning system, making it a lot easier to clean and maintain than bags. Just pop the cartridge out when it’s full, empty it, rinse it with a garden hose and pop it back in.
- Very low energy consumption
- Very easy to use and operate, just take it out of the box, plug it in, and lower it to the bottom of the pool
- Very easy to clean and maintain
- Efficient and powerful
- Thorough cleaning
- Automatic shut-off function
- It’s designed to handle pool areas up to 20’x40’ reliably. It will not be able to deliver the same kind of performances in a larger pool.
- It requires a bit of lifting in order to get it in and out of the pool.
- The onboard computer cannot be reprogrammed or reconfigured without taking the unit apart and voiding the warranty.
3. Dolphin 99996323 Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner
The Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner is an affordable, efficient, plug and play pool cleaner that cleans your pool within 3 hours. With a 60ft swivel cable to avoid tangles, self-programming, and no pool connections or pre-installation required, this pool cleaner is ideal and can be used for pools up to 50ft in length. Simply plug it in, set it in your pool, and let it go; it will clean the pool bottom, walls, and cove with ease.
This unit has received a 4-out-of-5 star rating in the majority of customer reviews. The ease-of-access to the various compartments has received praise as has the built-in timer which allows one to simply set it and walk away. Perhaps the highest bit of praise, however, has been the thoroughness with which this model cleans, picking up 99% of debris and scrubbing the walls and waterline to satisfaction. The Dolphin Nautilus has possibly some of the highest ratings out of competing pool cleaners.
- An easy-to-clean cartridge filter with a spring filter included
- 60ft swivel cable that prevents line tangles speeding up the cleaning process
- Plug-and-play feature, no special tools or equipment needed prior to using
- Self-programmed, with a built-in timer, for the best possible cleaning
- Cost-and-energy efficient, some estimates have been made that it costs as little as fifteen cents to clean your pool
- This pool cleaner will clean all pool surfaces below, and up to, the water line
- Contains a 30v, integrated circuitry power supply for conservation of energy lowering energy costs
- The filter is a cartridge that simply slides in-and-out for easy cleaning and replacement
- Comes as a complete unit, no extra tools, equipment, or pool connections are required for the use of this pool cleaner, which also avoids the hassle of over-sized hoses and high energy costs
- Features an in-built brush system to optimize pool cleaning and remove difficult-to-clean substances such as algae or bacteria
- Foreign objects in the pool can potentially plug up the motor, so it doesn’t pick up larger debris all that wellWhile this cleaner is still fairly light-weight in comparison to other models it is heavy
4. 2017 Dolphin Premier Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner
The 2017 Dolphin Premier Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner is the pinnacle of pool cleaners. This marvelous cleaner features a 360 degree swivel cable ensuring that the cleaner will never get stuck in its own cable while cleaning. In addition, the Dolphin Premier features 4 multi-media settings allowing you to set the cleaner for the type of cleaning you need, deep-scrub and vacuum, large debris, or small debris and algae, all you need to do is choose your option and let it go! Also, for the large debris an oversized debris bag is included which is quickly and easily attached. With built in Nav-Smart software and micro-processor control, the Dolphin Premier will clean your pool from top-to-bottom using the least amount of energy and time possible. And the best part? Your pool will be squeaky-clean once it’s done!
The Dolphin Premier pool cleaner has received very high ratings and positive feedback in customer reviews. A number have purchase this cleaner after previous robotic pool cleaners had failed them and have been pleased with the thoroughness with which the Dolphin Premier cleans the pool, the dual filter options allowing for cartridge or bag filters, and the amount of energy that is saved by the efficiency of this unit.
- -360 degree anti-tangle swivel to avoid the cord becoming tangle or slowing the cleaner
- 4 multi-media cleaning options that allow you to clean anything from bacteria to leaves out of your pool
- Smart-Nav software that calculates the best pattern for cleaning
- Microprocessor control ensuring that no part of your pool is missed
- 3,000 RPM commercial grade DC motor which reduces energy usage by up to 87%
- Programmable features allowing you to set when and how often you want your pool cleaned, no need for you to be home in order to clean your pool
- HyperGrip technology for better climbing grip, reducing slippage and ensuring a better clean of the entire pool surround
- The 360 degree anti-tangle swivel allows the Dolphin Premier to clean the pool in less time and more efficiently
- The use of standard and micro cartridge filters and an oversized disposable debris bag allows it multi-task
- With dual power and a 3,000 RPM DC motor the energy usage is 10-15% of what other models use and the cleaning time is significantly reduced; approximately 2.5 hours for most pools
- Components of the cleaner are quickly and easily replaced thanks to the modular design of this model
- The unit is heavy and difficult to maneuver outside of the pool
- A remote control is not included in the features
5. Polaris F9550 Sport Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner
The Polaris F9550 Sport Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner is another great option for a robotic pool cleaner. This one is specifically designed for in-ground pools, so if you have an above ground pool, this won’t work for you.However, those with in-ground pools will love the great job this robotic pool cleaner does. It features a 4-whel drive and the Aqua-Trax tires make it compatible with all pool surfaces. In addition, this cleaner is equipped with ActivMotion Sensor Technology that provides unbeatable navigation even in working in larger or custom shaped pools.
Most users love the fact that the Polaris F9550 Sport Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner also comes with a remote control. This is a feature that is by no means necessary, but it does allow you to guide the cleaner into areas that might be harder to reach or that need a second cleaning.
Depending on the size of your pool, this robotic cleaner can finish the job in 1.5 to 3 hours. What’s nice is that it also features are weekly timer, so you can program it to clean once a week. You don’t even have to remove it from the pool, simply set the timer and it will go to work when specified.
This robotic vacuum cleaner provides a great clean with Vortex Vacuum Technology. This advanced technology allows the Polaris to pick up larger debris while still maintaining suction. The robotic cleaner does occasionally have an issue around stairs, but it is easily managed with the remote.
- Features a weekly timer for easy programming
- Has Vortex Vacuum Technology for advanced cleaning
- Easily controlled by a remote control
- ActivMotion Sensor Technology for superior navigation throughout your pool
- Remote control allows you to guide cleaner into harder to reach locations
- Robotic pool cleaner can be left in the pool and programmed to run on a set schedule
- Compatible with pool surfaces of any type
- Has difficulty getting stairs and hard to reach places, but the remote control will help
6. Maytronics 99996333-DX3 Dolphin Robotic Pool Cleaner
If you are looking for the right automated pool cleaner, your search has come to an end! The Maytronics 99996333-DX3 Dolphin Robotic Pool Cleaner has managed to revolutionize the daunting task of getting your pool cleaned and is guaranteed to give you amazing results every time. This lightweight, easy to use machine has exceptional cleaning power and will always leave you with pristine blue water. With its self programming technology, it can determine the most efficient way to clean and filter your pool.
What we liked most about this machine is that it comes with its unique pool scanning software, which analyzes your pool and ensurs a much more efficient cleaning process without missing any part of the pool (which is a great problem in other pool cleaners).
The machine comes with a fine prosperity filter bag
which enables it to catch even the smallest debris particles. Additionally, this superb pool cleaner has an indicator light which will inform you when the bag is full and needs to be cleaned thus allowing the machine to perform optimally.
It has a patented swivel cable which enables it to clean pools up to 50 feet in length without the worry of it getting tangled and will thoroughly clean and filter the entire pool from the floor, to the walls and the tile line in just 3 hours. Another great thing about this device is that it does not require pre-installation and is ready to use as soon as you unbox it. It is a stand-alone machine and does not need to be connected to the pool pump. It is a low voltage and low energy consumption machine with tremendous cleaning power. With a solid outer shell and made with the high-quality material, it is a durable cleaner.Pros
- Requires no configuration and is ready to use right out of the box
- Its filters are super easy to clean
- Self-programming technology systematically analyses your pool and determines the most efficient way to clean your pool
- Cleans the pool walls, floor, tile line and clove
- Does not have to be connected to the pool pump
- It vacuums, filters and scrubs the entire pool in just 3 hours
- It is a light weight machine making it easier maneuver and carry in and out of the pool
- It has a swivel cord which prevents tangling thus no interruptions occur during the pool cleaning process
- It is only recommended for in-ground pools.
7. Pentair 360032 Kreepy Krauly Prowler 830 Robotic Inground Pool Cleaner
The Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 830 is optimized for cleaning in-ground, residential pools. With its compact design and relatively light-weight of 45lbs the pool cleaner scrubs, filters, and vacuums your pool to sparkling cleanliness. This remote controlled cleaner allows you to simply set the schedule for your pool cleaning and walk away to return, within a two-and-a-half hour time period, to a fresh, clean pool.
The Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 830 has received a 4-out-of-5 star rating with customer reviews that praise the cleanliness of their pools, the ease with which the cleaner is operated and stored, the handiness of the remote, and the ease with which it picked up debris. If you are looking for a pool cleaner that gives you all the options, and performs to expectations, than look no further then the Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 830.Top Features
- Remote controlled, allowing for ease of usage
- Programmable so all that is needed is to set your schedule and let it run
- Eco-friendly and energy efficient saving both time and cost expenditure
- Auto-reverse feature to avoid the cleaner getting stuck while cleaning shortening the time required for cleaning
- Plug-and-Play setup, no need for extra connections, cords, or tools; simply plug in and let it go
- Includes a caddy for ease of mobility and storage
- Filter cartridge with indicator letting you know when the filter needs replacing
- Cleans everything below the water line in as little as 2.5 hours, a speed record as far as most pool cleaners are concerned
- Contains features that indicate when the filter needs to be replaced, no need to wonder why your pool is not being cleaned due to a forgotten filter
- Sensors are inbuilt for auto-reverse to avoid the Prowler getting stuck or hung-up making this model more mobile than competing models
- Can be programmed to clean the pool at set times even if no one is home to turn it on
- The cable is not created to avoid tangling
- The debris compartment is not large enough
8. Aquabot Pool Rover Hybrid Robotic Pool Cleaner
The Aquabot Pool Rover Hybrid Robotic Pool Cleaner is great for in-ground and above-ground pools and can be used to clean the floor and walls. The hard working robotic cleaner can handle vinyl, concrete, fiberglass and tile surfaces and cleans up to 5,400 square feet per hour.It is a customizable cleaner with easy programmability, and the jet propelled system can handle cleaning a 24 diameter pool in less than one hour. It features a guidance-locking pin for expert navigation and can filter large and small debris down to 2 micros. The filtration bag has a 34 quart capacity, which means less frequent cleanings for you as well.
The free spinning wheels never stick and can move either forwards or in reverse, which enables it to handle transitions from pool floors to walls. It is extremely easy to use, so easy that you just need to push a button and drop the cleaner into your pool. It will begin working to vacuum and filter out debris and bacteria from your pool water. It also doesn’t require any external hoses or connections, and its patented guidance system allows it to operate without your supervision.
It comes with a 41 foot cable and can clean most pools in as little as an hour. It weighs just 10.6 pounds and comes with an extended 2 year warranty. If you are looking for an affordable, easy to use robotic pool cleaner, the Aquabot Pool Rover Hybrid Robotic Pool Cleaner might be the best choice for you.
- Filters particles as small as 2 microns from your pool water
- Extra-wide wheels allow the robotic cleaner to adapt to pool surfaces of any type
- Jet propelled with the ability to clean 5,400 square feet in an hour
- 24 quart debris holding capacity
- Offers an extended 2 year warranty
- Works for pools of any type, both above and in-ground pools
- Works as a vacuum and filter to clean surfaces and help purify water
- Can clean pools of most any size un less than an hour
- Sometimes struggles with transition between floor and wall
9. Dolphin 99996356 Dolphin Triton Robotic Pool Cleaner
The Dolphin 99996356 Dolphin Triton Robotic Pool Cleaner with Caddy Swivel Cable, 60-Feet is a great option for someone looking to invest in a robotic pool cleaner. This robotic cleaner does it all—vacuuming, scrubbing and filtering. Although you will pay more for this model than some lesser-quality robotic cleaners, this one is definitely worth it.
For any in-ground pool surface type, this little robot is able to clean floors, walls and coves. It is extremely easy to operate. All you need to do is plug it into your 110v outlet and let the cleaner do the rest. Chances are you won’t even know when it’s operating, because this pool cleaner is so quiet. It also features robotic scanning technology, which allows the robot to map your pool to ensure that it reaches every spot, without repeatedly cleaning the same section. This saves time and improves the energy efficiency of the model, which means less expensive energy bills.
For those who want to have a little fun, this robotic pool cleaner also features a remote control. If there are any hard to reach areas in your pool, the remote control will help you guide the robot cleaner. With the included carrying caddy and weighing just 18.75 pounds, you can easily remove the cleaner for storage whenever necessary.
When choosing the right robotic pool cleaner for your pool, you want to be sure that you are getting the best cleaner possible for your budget. The Dolphin 99996356 Dolphin Triton Robotic Pool Cleaner with Caddy Swivel Cable, 60-Feet is a powerful cleaning machine that has the following features:
- 60 foot longpatented swivel cable to clean pools up to 50 feet in length
- Includes carrying caddy
- Easy to clean cartridge filter system
- Extremely energy efficient
- Provides suction rate of 4,233 gallons per hour
- Weighs 18.75 lbs.
- Cleans pool floor, cove and walls
- Comes with 4 fine and 4 regular particulate filters
- Features three settings: once a day for a week, every other day for a week, and every third day for a week
- Patented scanning technology that maps your pool
- Comes with a carrying caddy to make transportation a breeze
- At just $0.15 a cleaning, you won’t see your energy bill sky rocket
- Scrubs, vacuums and filers the pool simultaneously for an all-encompassing clean
- Safe for all types of pools, even salt water pools
- Comes with a swivel cable to eliminate tangles from interfering with pool cleaning
- Plug and play operation with easy maintenance
- Built in filter is bit small for larger debris
- The filter is smaller, so it will need to be emptied more often
- Can take up to three hours to clean larger size pools, but you get a thorough clean
10. POOL ROVER S2 40
The Pool Rover S2 40 is compactly designed to move easily through the water while cleaning, speeding up the cleaning time, and can filter up to 85 gallons of water per minute. This sleek design is ideal for above ground pools and will clean the pool base, cove, and partial wall, with a 6 inch radius. The filter is easily reachable as it is located on top of the cleaner and a Hydro-Robotic technology is utilized, lowering your energy and repair/replacement costs. With a Plug-and-Play feature all you need is to plug the Pool Rover into an outlet, place it in the water, and let it do its work. No hassle!
Customer reviews have praised the Pool Rover S2’s efficiency in picking up and cleaning debris and the fact that this cleaner is self-contained; it doesn’t need to be connected to your pool’s pump or filtration system saving in energy costs as well as hassle.Top Features
- 40ft swivel cable to avoid entanglements making cleaning more efficient and less time consuming
- HydroRobotic Technology that allows the cleaner to utilize the water’s own power to move it through the pool lowering energy costs and part replacement
- A pump that filters up to 85 gallons of water per minute
- Aerodynamic design to allow it to move through the pool with the least amount of water resistance
- Filters that are designed to clean units of bacteria or debris down to 2 microns in size
- A power supply with one or two hour cleaning options that can be set
- Ease-of-access top filter bag for swift and easy filter replacement
- Can be used on all pool surfaces including vinyl liners
- Plug-and-Play, no extra cords, connectors, tools, or special equipment needed for use
- The Pool Rover S2 40 is light-weight making it manoeuvrable both in-and-out of the water
- The filter can clean up to 4,800 gallons of water in an hour, a remarkable speed when compared to other models
- The 40ft swivel cable helps to keep the Pool Rover from becoming stuck or entangled with its cord
- Two options for cleaning times are available, 1 hour or 2 hours
- The filter is quickly and easily replaced
- As the Pool Rover is ideally used for above ground pools a cable longer than 40ft would be helpful
- It does not clean walls
- The addition of a brush would make cleaning more detailed
What is a Robotic Pool Cleaner?
A robotic pool cleaner is essentially an automated cleaner for you pool. An automated pool cleaner acts as a vacuum for you pool by sucking up debris that has settled on the bottom of your pool. This robotic pool cleaner takes this a step further and cleans the pool on its own. Without utilizing your pools filtration system, this type of pool cleaner works electrically. By plugging a robotic pool cleaner into a power source, it will work its way through the pool and clean the bottom. These are typically more energy efficient and faster than other types of automated pool cleaners, so they’re a great addition for any type of pool.
How Does a Robotic Pool Cleaner Work?
For a robotic pool cleaner to work, it will need to be plugged into an external power source. Typically, they are plugged into 110-volt source, and a transformer inside the machine steps the power down to safer-around-water 24 volts. If you need to install a new power source to run your robotic pool cleaner, it is best to place it at least 12 feet from the pool. Now, you might be wary about having an electrical device operating in your pool, but these types of cleaners go through rigorous testing to ensure they are safe to use, even where there are swimmers in the pool!
Your robotic pool cleaner will actually be powered by a dual motor. One motor is the drive mechanism that is connected to the brushes and tracks. These are typically rubber and tractor-like and propel your robotic cleaner throughout the pool, along the walls and bottom surfaces. The second motor is the one that processes the water. It sucks water through a filter and then pushes that filtered water back into the pool.
The great thing about robotic pool cleaners is that you can leave them to clean the pool on their own. They are programmed by a microchip that enables them to know when to switch on and off, when they’ve reached the surface after climbing a wall, or when they hit a wall. Much like a robotic vacuum cleaner, you set them up and let them work independently to complete the task.
Some more advanced robotic pool cleaners actually feature infrared scanners that can switch from floor to wall without assistance. Others offer remote controls via Wi-Fi that lets you operate them from the comfort of your lounge chair!
What to Consider Before Buying a Robotic Pool Cleaner
There are many factors that need to be considered when you are purchasing a robotic pool cleaner. These pool cleaners tend to be more expensive than other automated pool cleaners, so you want to be sure that you are choosing one that will work best for you. With that being said, here are a variety of aspects to consider before buying a robotic pool cleaner:
Type of Pool
This one is simple to check off your list. Is your pool an above ground or in-ground pool? Most robotic vacuum cleaners are designed for either or, so that should be the first thing you look at when considering which robotic pool cleaner to buy.
Before you start your buying process, you should set a budget for your robotic pool cleaner. It can be easy to get sucked in by special features and controls, but setting a budget ahead of time will keep you on track. Also, determine what matters most to you. Do you care more about special features, or performance? Knowing the answer to that question will help guide you through the buying process and might help you stick to a set budget.
Pool size is extremely important to consider when you are buying a robotic pool cleaner. Robotic pool cleaners come with a fixed cable length. If you have a larger pool with a short cord, your robotic cleaner won’t be able to reach portions of it, which defeats the purpose! Keep in mind that you also need to account for the distance between the power supply and pool, as well as the depth. Getting a cable with a longer cord then necessary is always better than getting one with a cord that is too short.
This is another factor that is essential to consider when buying a robotic pool cleaner because these cleaners are typically designed for certain types of surfaces. Most can handle any pool surface, but they might be better suited for another type. A wheeled or universal rubber PVC brush is okay for most pools, but if you have a slippery tile or fiberglass pool, you will want to get a super grip PVA brush to allow for proper cleaning.
Robotic pool cleaners are powered by suction, which means you want one with enough suction to get the job done right. This spec is typically stated in Gallons per Minute or GPM on the production information. A solid robotic pool cleaner will need at least 70 GPM to do a good job. If you have a smaller pool, it is okay to dip a bit lower, but we generally wouldn’t recommend purchasing a robotic pool cleaner below the 70 GPM rate.
This is something that will differ by the user and is a matter of preference. Some people want robotic pool cleaners that are simple and straight forward. These will have a plug-and-play type approach and allows users to plug in their cleaner, select a setting and go. Others, like having more technology built in. This comes in the form of a remote control, advanced settings and even Wi-Fi or programming capability. Just keep in mind that the more technology that is built in, the more expensive it will be.
For this robotic pool cleaner spec, it’s better to have a lower micron value. A low micron filter bag or basket will help a robotic pool cleaner with fine particles, dirt and even silt. Units with low micron values can actually help purify and even disinfect the water. The better robotic pool cleaners will have filtration systems around 2 microns. Generic terms like fine or mesh might seem appealing, but the micron value is what really matters when it comes to a clean pool.
Type of Cord
This might not seem like a big deal, but keep in mind that your robotic pool cleaner is attached to this cord. Tangling cords was a huge issue with robotic pool cleaners in the past, and when they get tangled up, your pool cleaner is extremely limited in its reach. Thankfully, the mechanical swivel feature was incorporated. This mechanical swivel is located right on the cord and will help keep it from tangling, which gives your robotic pool cleaner free reign over your pool.
Power Washing Jets
This is another advanced feature that you might want to consider. It will typically only be found on higher end models, but if you are looking for advanced cleaning capabilities and don’t mind paying extra for it, power washing jets are a great feature. These are ideal for pools with fine silt, dirt particles or sand. Certain robotic pool cleaners can actually travel along the surface of the water, cleaning along tile where other standard models cannot reach.
Bells & Whistles
If you have a big to spend for a robotic pool cleaner, there are some neat additional features out there. Some robotic cleaners come with bot caddies, advanced programming mechanisms, and faster cleaning times. These special features also include beach entry, which enables robotic pool cleaners to reach harder areas of your pool, quick clean technology, out of water sensors and even vortex vacuum technology for advanced clean. These are by no means necessary, but the options are out there if it’s something that interests you.
Last but not least, you will want to consider the brand you are purchasing. Robotic pool cleaners are by no means inexpensive, so it’s important to make sure you are buying from a reputable brand that will stand behind their cleaner. Cheaper imports might seem enticing to save on spending, but they might not be quality and built to last and you’ll be opening your pocket book in another year or so to replace it.